A matching cabinet was built for workbench 2.0 a few months
after completion in 1999. Materials are birch plywood, with
maple trim. Drawers are Claro Walnut. Construction is of contemporary
kitchen cabinet variety using bisquits and glue to hold the
parts together. It is very strong and holds alot of weight.
into Two Sections From the beginning of
the design process, I decided to house my handplanes in the
bottom of the cabinet. So, to make construction simple and allow
for future modification if needed, the top cabinet is about
16" deep. This is where I store my chisels, router bits,
rasps, measuring tools, etc. The bottom section is 24"
deep to allow for more storage space and plane storage on the
bottom. The two sections are independent and the top sits on
registration buttons at the top of the bottom cabinet.
Drawer carcasses are of poplar with Claro Walnut fronts using
dovetail construction throughout. Top
drawers are about 16" deep, bottom are about 24" deep.
Drawers sliders are made with maple running on routed dados
in the drawer sides. Lubed by wax, they seem to have no wear
after 6 years use.
Storage Plane storage at the bottom is
with drawer fronts that flip down to show the partitioned storage.
Being deep, I have no trouble storing my ancient Bailey #7.
This design has worked very well and keeps dust off of the planes,
Rail behind the tool tray was build out
of two pieces of 5/4 Maple. Dados were cut of various widths
to allow for chisels on the left side of the tray (shown),
and longer dados were cut on the right side for screw drivers
and saws. Though not intended as permanent homes, it is handy.
See Woodsmith #50 for info.
The tray bottom and ramps were built out of 1/2 Birch
plywood. To cut the severe angles necessary, I used a tenon
jig and my table saw. It was glued onto to the bottom and
a support block. Sides were not glued, just fitted to allow
for top expansion
Vise Metal screw and plate hardware (the larger size)
was used with a core construction. Inner box was Maple. Outer
dog strip top, and end caps were made out of 6/4 Oregon Walnut
to contrast with the Maple used throughout the bench.
Dog holes were sized to fit the Veritas metal dogs shown here.
Additional dogs were constructed out of Maple or Walnut with
Stops Another detail from Frank Klauz's workbench
in the The Workbench Book. Mine are made from Bubinga scraps
I had left over from another project. As you can see I made
two of them-for both push and pull saws. Though I usually
use Japanese pull saws, you never know....
Base Each piece was contracted out two pieces
of 2 x 3 Maple and glued together with Epoxy. Mortise and
tenon construction. Round over detail on bottom was done in
the traditional style by first bandsawing the cut, and shaping
the final details by hand.
Joint The top rail of the left and right base
were attached to the supports with a bridle joint. You can
also see the two bolts holding the end as on. One is in an
elongated hole to also for top expansion. Also shown is the
upper back stretcher with the 7/16î rod holding the
two sides together.
Vise Shown in one of the rotation directions it can
take. I've found both the smaller jaws very useful as well
as using the vise in the vertical position to be very handy
features. Great vise!
Attachment You can see the some of the hardware and
the support used for tilting the vise vertically. The elastic
cords are adjustable and are used to automatically open the
vise to a preset distance. Also, note the area that was routed
out of the bottom of the bench top. Vise requires benches
to be no more then 2 3/4î thick. Anything over and you
have to route out the mounting area.
Slave Completed in 2000 was a bench slave. I used Frank
Klaus' design shown in the Workbench Book. The complete plans
are in the back of the book. I made mine out of Claro Walnut.
It works great and used quite often.